The Reality of Invisalign: Why They May Not Be as Perfect for Your Teeth as You Expect
What Is Invisalign?
It is a type of teeth aligner in orthodontic dentistry for straightening teeth. Invisalign provides alternatives to patients that do not want to wear metal braces for their orthodontic treatment. They feature a clear plastic-like material created into a tray. Orthodontists develop the tray after impressions of your teeth, which fit snugly.
How Does Invisalign Work?
When you begin your treatment, the first aligning tray will be effective for shifting your teeth for between 3-6 weeks. Afterward, a new tray is necessary to keep moving your teeth. The attending orthodontists will come up with a treatment plan that will guide the process from the start to the end. Usually, it takes between 30-32 aligning trays to complete your treatment with Invisalign.
When Should You Consider Getting Invisalign?
Dentists can address different oral problems in orthodontics. However, Invisalign is ideal for correcting the following mild to moderate orthodontic problems:
- Spaces between teeth
- A misplaced midline
- Overlapping teeth
- Improper bites – overbite, underbite, or crossbite
Is Invisalign Ideal for Everyone?
Over the years, Invisalign teeth aligners have accumulated a lot of popularity globally. They provide solutions for cosmetic-conscious patients who still want to undergo orthodontics near them. the better news is that there is no upper age limit for when you should get Invisalign aligners. However, a few factors can impact your view on Invisalign in Los Gatos enough that you change your mind about them:
- The process takes time – if you will undergo orthodontics near you, understand that treatments in this specialty of dentistry take time to complete. Typically, straightening teeth with Invisalign takes between 6 to 18 months. If you desire a quick fix for your smile, Invisalign at Mountain Bay Dental Implants and Orthodontics may not be an ideal choice. Instead, liaise with our dental team to realize different treatment approaches that will not take long to achieve your desired appearance.
- You may still need to wear a retainer – which is an orthodontic appliance that holds your teeth in place to prevent them from shifting. They are necessary after orthodontic treatment to hold your teeth in their new positions to prevent them from shifting back to their former alignment. Therefore, if you are not willing to wear retainers after removing your teeth aligners, you should rethink your decision to get Invisalign.
- You have to be careful with your aligners – Invisalign braces feature a gentle material. Be cautious about caring for your aligners to prevent breaking them. Besides, they are removable, allowing you to eat your choice foods without damaging your teeth aligners. Further, Invisalign braces can catch stains. It is more the reason you should remove them when you eat. Keeping them clean will also be crucial to maintain good-looking Invisalign aligners.
- You may experience some discomfort – although the Invisalign material is different from the metal wires and brackets of traditional braces, you may still experience some discomfort. The clear aligners fit snugly to apply controlled pressure on your teeth that can move them. Therefore, during the initial days of getting a new tray, you will experience discomfort in your jaw and gums. However, as the weeks pass by, your comfort levels will improve. Still, you will experience discomfort when you replace the old aligners with a new aligning tray.
- Invisalign works better for mild and moderate orthodontic problems – sometimes, patients want to get Invisalign at Los Gatos dentistry, yet they leave the dental office with metal braces. Invisalign is not the best teeth aligner to correct complex orthodontic problems.
- There are restrictions on wear time – a big factor that directly impacts the success of orthodontic treatment with Invisalign is the wear time. Orthodontists recommend wearing clear aligners for at least 20 -22 hours daily.
Is Orthodontic Treatment Worth It with Invisalign?
Although the aforementioned factors can make you hesitant to get Invisalign braces, so much to be said about the teeth aligners. Their popularity is not unfounded, given that Invisalign has the following advantages:
- Removability – you can wear and remove your teeth aligners as you want.
- Freedom on what you can eat during your treatment.
- Improved oral hygiene since they are removable.
- A low-profile design that makes them virtually invisible when worn.
- Better comfort levels compared to wearing metal braces.